Regulating Tourist Bus Access in Palermo: LTZ BUS
Palermo's Authority of Tourism, the Urban Planning Commission of the Municipality, and officials from the historic center have reached an agreement to improve the accessibility of the historic center for tourists and regulate the parking of tourist buses. This will involve new pedestrian entrances and designated parking areas for tourist buses.
The new pedestrian entrances for tourists will be located at Foro Italico and Piazza Indipendenza. Tourists entering the historic center through Porta Felice or Porta Nuova will be directed to these entrances.
The historic center will be off-limits to tourist buses for parking. However, tourist buses will be allowed a brief stop in Piazza Indipendenza for tourists to embark and disembark, specifically to visit the museum area, which includes the Palatine Chapel, the Cathedral, and San Giovanni degli Eremiti. Tourist buses will be directed to park in a designated area near the University on Via Ernesto Basile. On the other side of Corso Vittorio Emanuele, buses will be allowed to stop at Foro Italico to disembark and embark tourists who will then proceed on foot to visit Piazza Marina, Palazzo Abatellis, Piazza Borsa, and Piazza Pretoria. Tourist buses will be directed to park in an area in front of Villa Giulia.
The new regulations aim to reduce pollution levels in the center, improve mobility for tourist buses, but mainly to enhance the safety and livability of the entire historic center area by promoting pedestrian visits.
ZTL in Palermo
Starting from Monday, October 10th, the City of Palermo has established a ZTL (Limited Traffic Zone) with the aim of limiting air and noise pollution, especially in the central area of the city.
The ZTL will be active:
- from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00
- on Saturdays from 8:00 to 13:00. No restrictions will be in place on Sundays and holidays. Remember to obtain the pass before entering the ZTL to avoid fines.
Tariffs for tourist buses
Tourist buses will be allowed to make a temporary stop in Piazza Indipendenza to allow tourists to visit the museum complex, which includes, among others, the Palatine Chapel, the Cathedral, and San Giovanni degli Eremiti. The buses can park in a reserved area in via Ernesto Basile, close to the University. On the other side of Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the buses can stop at Foro Italico to let tourists get off and walk to Piazza Marina, Palazzo Abatellis, Piazza Borsa, and Piazza Pretoria. The buses can park in an area in front of Villa Giulia.
Tariffs for ZTL tourist buses
- Annual: 600 Euro
- Semi-annual: 300 Euro
- Monthly: 120 Euro
- Daily: 30 Euro
Passes for ZTL tourist buses
Daily passes can be obtained through:
- the common.palermo.it platform, where the pass can be paid online (and obtained immediately)
- the Amat offices in via A. Borrelli (Monday to Friday, from 8:00 to 18:00) or the Aci offices in Palermo and province, with immediate payment and issue at the offices and AMAT points of sale:
- via Giusti (Mon-Fri 8/12.30 and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays also 15/17)
- Piazza A. De Gasperi (Mon-Fri 8/12.30 and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays also 15/17)
- Stazione Centrale (Mon-Fri 8/12.30 and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays also 15/17)
- via Basile (Mon-Fri 8/12.30 and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays also 15/17)
- Politeama from Monday to Friday 8/20. To activate the daily pass, you can use an SMS or the "Ztl Palermo" APP, before entering the Limited Traffic Zone. Via SMS, by sending a message to the number 339.9942927, writing ZTL (space) license plate (space) unique secret code. The code is printed on the passes purchased online or under a gray scratch-off strip on the paper passes purchased at the points of sale. The instructions are provided in Italian and English on the back of the passes.
Stops and parking for tourist buses in Palermo
The Foro Italico and Piazza Indipendenza will be the pedestrian entrances for tourists entering the historic center, crossing Porta Felice and Porta Nuova, respectively, while parking for buses will be prohibited throughout the historic center.