Regulating Tourist Bus Access in Montecatini: LTZ BUS
Montecatini Terme is a renowned Italian spa town in Tuscany that attracts thousands of tourists every year. Due to its historic city center, it has implemented a Limited Traffic Zone (ZTL) where access to motorized vehicles is restricted to preserve its cultural heritage and ensure pedestrian safety.
In this context, access for tourist buses to the ZTL is only possible through a prior authorization process and payment of a specific tariff established by the Municipality. This article will provide essential information on the regulations for tourist buses' access to the ZTL, the corresponding tariff system, and the authorization request process, as well as useful contacts for inquiries and clarification.
Montecatini Terme regulates the access of tourist buses to the Limited Traffic Zone through an authorization process and payment of a fee established by the Municipal Council. Here are the main indications for the circulation of NON-scheduled buses in the territory of Montecatini Terme.
Limited Traffic Zone (ZTL)
- Access to the urban center delimited by the Limited Traffic Zone, from January 1st to December 31st of each year, is subject to payment of a fee established by the Municipal Council.
- The transit permit, to be displayed prominently on the windshield, allows access to the ZTL ONLY by following the roads indicated on the map attached to it, to reach the parking areas specifically set up near the hotel, for the time strictly necessary for loading and/or unloading passengers and luggage. During any additional intermediate days, for passenger boarding and/or disembarking operations, those authorized to follow the routes shown on maps n° 4 and n° 6 must follow the itinerary indicated on them.
- Once the loading or unloading operations are completed, the bus that is not hosted in authorized private parking areas must be moved outside the ZTL and, if the fee has been paid, can use the parking lots set up by the Administration, at the Municipal Stadium (P1), the Municipal Swimming Pool (P2), and the Hippodrome (P3), as indicated at the entrances.
- Stopping with the engine on during loading and unloading operations and at level crossings with lowered barriers is PROHIBITED.
- From September 1st to June 15th of each year, between 7:50 a.m. and 8:20 a.m., it is FORBIDDEN to leave the parking areas provided by the Administration and to transit in the ZTL.
- Transit on tree-lined streets is at the driver's risk, and the Municipal Administration is released from any responsibility. Any damage to plants will be borne by the owners of the vehicles.
Tariff System for Tourist Buses
The tariff system for access, circulation, and parking of buses within the Limited Traffic Zone is as follows:
Tariff for Access and Parking of Tourist Buses
- For all tourist buses coming from agencies and companies located outside the municipality, arriving and staying in the city and heading to hotels without private parking, the following fees apply for prolonged stays:
- € 36.00 per day for the first three days of stay;
- The price for 3 days (€ 108.00) allows parking and transit for 7 days, for assistance and support for long stays.
- For all tourist buses arriving and staying in the city and heading to hotels with private parking located inside the hotel, the following fee applies for prolonged stays:
- € 9.00 per day
- For all tourist buses arriving in the city and heading to hotels without private parking but affiliated with private individuals or companies that have suitable parking in the municipality of Montecatini Terme, the following fee applies for prolonged stays:
- € 14.00 per day
Tariffs only for ZTL access
- For all tourist buses arriving in the city and limiting their activities to passenger boarding and disembarking operations and other loading and unloading operations, without accessing hotels with internal parking and leaving for other destinations, the following fee applies:
- € 14.00 per day In this case, the following additional fees are allowed:
- € 70.00 (weekly subscription)
Information on Obtaining Authorization for ZTL and Bus Parking
Access to the urban center of the Municipality of Montecatini Terme, delimited by the Limited Traffic Zone ZTL and Bus Parking is subject to obtaining prior authorization by filling out the form "Request for ZTL access and Bus Parking," attached. The completed form, signed, stamped, and accompanied by the document attesting to the payment made (fees), must be sent at least 15 days before arrival in the city, to the fax number 0572-913968 or the following email addresses:
Once the Montecatini Parking & Services s.p.a. has verified the completeness of the requested data and documents, it will send the corresponding authorization/permit via e-mail or fax, with an attached map indicating the place where visitors/customers accessing the city/hotels will disembark and the possible public parking to be used. The permit must be printed in A4 size and in color.
In derogation of the above, groups arriving in Montecatini Terme without authorization, to avoid penalties, must necessarily contact the offices of M.P. to regularize the payment of the fee due and obtain permission for access to ZTL/BUS PARKING. The telephone numbers to contact are: 0572-913968, 0572-772498 (from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.) and 393-9124384, 393-9002670, 393-9761487 (outside these hours and on pre-holiday and holiday days).
NB: To avoid violations of the Highway Code, the transit permit must be displayed prominently on the front windshield of the bus before accessing the ZTL and kept for the entire stay in the city. In case of verification by the personnel in charge of control of the absence of the parking permit and/or access to the Limited Traffic Zone, for each day of non-payment, the following surcharges will apply:
- 50% of the due fee, if payment is made by 11:59 p.m. on the day of the violation;
- 100% of the due fee, if payment is made in the following days and not later than 3 days after the violation. After the three days granted for regularization have passed, Montecatini Parking s.p.a. will activate the forms of law provided for the coercive recovery of the evaded fee.
The payment must be made through bank transfer to the following bank account:
- IBAN IT96 R062 6070 4611 0000 0004 140 (BIC: CRFIIT3P - SWIFT: CRFIIT3P296)
- Payee: Montecatini Parcheggi & Servizi SPA c/o Cassa di Risparmio di Pistoia e della Lucchesia (same reason)
Contact Information for ZTL BUS in Montecatini
Here's a list of the available contact information and resources for ZTL BUS in Montecatini:
- Useful links and authorization request for ZTL are available on the official page
- Contact information during weekdays is 0572-913968 and 0572-772498
- Contact information on holidays is 393-9124384, 393-9002670, and 393-9761487
- A map of the checkpoints and parking lots is available for reference.